PreCANSkate, CANSkate, & Advanced CANSkate
CANSkate is Canada’s only learn-to-skate program for beginners of all ages. The program focus’s and delivers through:
- fun, participation and basic skill development
- teaching and mastering strong basic skills earlier to prepare skaters for all ice sports – hockey, ringette, speed skating and figure skating
- on-ice delivery focusing on continuous movement emphasizes the use of newer and more dynamic group teaching concepts including the Fast Track, Fun Zone and station rotation all of which has been proven to increase practice opportunities and improve the rate of skill acquisition among skaters.
- visual aids and music are used to create a fun, stimulating and welcoming environment.
- report cards and an exciting new series of award ribbons to achieve, in addition to the Stage 1 to 6 badges
PreCANSkate is designed for 3 and 4 year olds. Children are taught to skate with an active play format through games and creative exercises in our 30 minute sessions. Skaters are working toward their Stage 1 Badge in CanSkate and focus on the fundamentals of skating: go forward, go backward, jumping, turning, falling down/getting up. They also learn the beginning stages of how to stop by learning to make snow on the ice. Skaters will receive various incentives throughout the season. On completion of PreCanSkate, skaters receive a certificate and will be encouraged to move into our mainstream CanSkate program.
Advanced CANSkate is an optional program recommended for skaters enrolled in the CanSkate Stages 4-6 who are interested in completing CanSkate and possibly moving into StarSkate (Skate Canada’s figure skating program.) In addition to regular CanSkate, skaters enrolled in Advanced CANSkate will receive a 15 minute group lesson with a certified Coach.
For insurance purposes, ALL SKATERS must be registered before stepping on the ice.
All PreCanSkate and CANSkaters must wear a CSA approved hockey helmet while on the ice.
Bicycle and other sport helmets are not permitted.